Sunday, April 15, 2012

Children's Sermon

When I was a pastor I always did a children's sermon in the worship service. I discovered that the adults were more attentive and often got more from the children's sermon than from the "big" sermon. I even did my doctoral project on the use of the children's sermon in Baptist churches.

We had a great children' sermon at Palmetto Baptist today! Dr. Jimmy Orr began by talking about his love for one sport and one team. He had about twelve Braves caps and other Braves paraphenalia. He asked the question, "Do you know what my favorite sport is?" One child answered "Golf" and the congregation roared with laughter! Jimmy was not flustered and just proceeded to his point of asking the children how we show that we love Jesus. Carrying through with his lead, the children responded by saying, "we can wear a shirt that says 'I love Jesus'; we can wear a hat that says 'I love Jesus; we can have a mug that says 'I love Jesus'" The sermon was effectively ended, however, when one child said, "We can wear underwear that says 'I love Jesus'"

Such innocence!

No comments: