Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Hanging in like a hair on a biscuit!

Recently Kenny Thompson, my coworker and friend, and I went to Alabama to look at a program over there. Alabama Baptist Children's Home graciously hosted us to review what they are doing. It was a great trip.

Two experiences were memorable.

They took us to Joe's Italian Restaurant to eat lunch. I think it was in Alabaster, Alabama, but I am not sure. The owner, Joe was sitting at the entrance greeting his customers. A delightful character, probably in his 80s, a true Italian. I highly recommend the restaurant and the meal I had. I had Lasagna Bianca. On the menu it said the recipe came to Sonia (Joe's Wife) in a dream. The dream was lasagna with white cream sauce. But the surprise was that it had turnip greens on the inside. What more could a country boy ask for? I highly recommend Joe's and the Lasagna Bianca!

The other experience was going to Bass Pro Shop. Well, I have been to other Bass Pro Shops before, even larger than the one outside Birmingham. The experience came when we entered. There is always someone to greet you at the turnstiles inside the front door. When we walked in there was a guy there, probably in his 50's or early 60's. When I asked him how he was doing, his response was, "I am hanging in like a hair on a biscuit!" Only in Alabama!

Sometime ask me about the two brothers arguing over a canoe outside the store!

No comments: